Democratic Republic of the Congo

Latest outbreak of Ebola in central Africa prompts global health emergency

DRC and WHO officials have identified over 500 cases in the DRC and recorded one confirmed death from the disease in neighboring Uganda as of Wednesday.

Bahati Erasto Musanga, provincial Governor walks with other officials, as they leave the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB), where samples from suspected Ebola cases are examined, as part of the response to the epidemic in Goma, North Kivu province of the Demo
Ambulances parked at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 16, 2026.

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda an international emergency

Evacuees from Afghanistan arrive at Hamad International Airport in Qatar's capital Doha on September 10, 2021.

Trump considering plan to send Afghan refugees who helped US to Congo - NYT

Israeli businessman Dan Gertler.

Dutch prosecutors drop Samos case against Israeli businessman Dan Gertler


Hezbollah’s presence in Africa poses a direct threat to American interests - opinion

The United States should capitalize on its newly assertive global image to push back against Iranian influence in Africa, starting with Hezbollah’s footprint in the DRC.

 Hezbollah supporters celebrate what they say is Iran's victory, after US President Donald Trump announced a ceasefire between Israel and Iran, in Beirut, Lebanon, June 25, 2025

Five countries elected to UN Security Council for 2026/27

The General Assembly on Monday elected former German foreign minister Annalena Baerbock as president of the 193-member body for its 80th session, which begins in September.

 German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock speaks during a press conference in Damascus, Syria,March 20, 2025.

Trump's image of dead 'white farmers' came from Reuters footage in Congo, not South Africa

"These are all white farmers that are being buried," said Trump, holding up a print-out of an article accompanied by the picture during a contentious Oval Office meeting with South African President.

 US President Donald Trump shows a copy of an article that he said is about white South Africans who had been killed, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, D.C., US, May 21, 2025.

Mystery disease outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo identified as malaria

"The mystery has finally been solved. It's a case of severe malaria in the form of a respiratory illness."

 A Congolese health official administers a mpox vaccination to a man, a key step in efforts to contain an outbreak that has spread from its epicentre, at a hospital in Goma, North Kivu province, Democratic Republic of Congo October 5, 2024.

Italy heightens airport health checks for passengers amid 'Disease X' outbreak

Most patients who died from this disease are aged up to 18 years, predominantly children under five years old.

 Kinshasa. The DRC.

Mystery 'Disease X' kills at least 143 in Democratic Republic of the Congo. WHO investigates

The disease primarily affects young people aged 15 to 18, putting the government on 'maximum alert'.

 Bukavu city in the DRC.

Belgian state held accountable for colonial-era abduction of mixed-race children

The ruling overturned a 2021 one that had determined that the case was time-barred.

Belgian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Civil Services and State-owned companies, Petra De Sutter is sworn in by Belgian King Philippe at the Royal Palace in Brussels, Belgium October 1, 2020.

American Jewish man sentenced to death in Congo for his involvement in a failed coup

American Jew Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun faces the death penalty in the DRC for his role in a failed coup attempt amid espionage claims and limited US intervention.

 American citizen Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, 36, has been sentenced to death for his involvement in a failed coup attempt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Three US citizens sentenced to death in Congo over role in failed coup

All three were found guilty of criminal conspiracy, terrorism and other charges, and sentenced to death in a ruling read out on live TV.

Benjamin Zalman Polun, Marcel Malanga and Taylor Thompson, American citizens suspected, along with a group of over fifty other people, to be involved in an attempted coup in Congo, wait for the beginning of their trial in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, June 7, 2024.

ICC accepts over 60 filings for arrest requests of Netanyahu, Gallant, and Hamas officials

The ICC accepted filings from over 60 governments and NGOs regarding arrest requests for Netanyahu, Gallant, and Hamas officials.

 ICC PROSECUTOR Karim Khan speaks during an interview in The Hague, earlier this year.