An Australian man was arrested on Wednesday for the theft of Bondi Beach massacre victim and event photographer Peter Meagher’s camera in the aftermath of the attack, the New South Wales Police announced on Thursday.

The suspect, a 35-year-old Marayong resident, was also working as the tragic Hanukkah event’s photographer when he stole his peer’s camera, the police alleged.

Retired detective sergeant Meagher had been working as a freelance photographer at the December Hanukkah event when two terrorist gunmen attacked, murdering him and 14 other participants.

Meagher’s wife said in a March Facebook post that the camera had not been found in police evidence, not had been logged as lost property.

“I would very much like the camera returned… or at least a memory card,” said Virginia Meagher. “If you know anything about the camera I’d love to hear from you.”

People gather at the floral tribute at Bondi Beach to honour the victims of a mass shooting targeting a Hanukkah celebration on Sunday at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 16, 2025.
People gather at the floral tribute at Bondi Beach to honour the victims of a mass shooting targeting a Hanukkah celebration on Sunday at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 16, 2025. (credit: REUTERS/Jeremy Piper)

The suspect is alleged to have stolen his fellow photographer’s camera equipment and pawned it days later.

Suspect charged with larceny, white powder found in vehicle

The Marayong man was charged with larceny for an item worth less than $2000. Police also found an unidentified white crystal powder and further electronics in his vehicle.

In late December, Meagher’s family remembered him for his volunteer work and as an avid rugby fan.

"The tragic irony that Peter spent so long in the dangerous front line as a police officer and was struck down in retirement while pursuing his passion for taking photos is hard for us to comprehend," said the family.